Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Trash Talk: Is It Really Entertaining?

I think I've been on a blogging roll of late.  It helps that I have some time to it, plus there have been some topics to talk about.  One that has recently stood out was last week's playoff games, particularly in the AFC.  Both in the Ravens/Steelers and Jets/Patriots there was a lot of words being said from both sides.  What seemed different from the usual "We're the better team" or "We guarantee we're going to win", there was more vulgar and harsh words and actions being used.

For instance, Terrell Suggs of the Ravens wore a shirt that showed him giving a finger (the middle one in particular) to the city of Pittsburgh.  Then you had Antonio Cromartie of the Jets calling Tom Brady an expletative (I'm not even going to mention what it is).  Then Bart Scott of the Jets, in reference to comments that Patriots WR Wes Welker made in reference to Scott's coach Rex Ryan, said that Welker's "days in a uniform will be numbered.", insuating that he'd take him out of the game.

On Monday, I was listening to one of my favorite sports talk shows out of Nashville online, and they were talking about this.  All three of them agreed that it was fine and was in fact entertaining and shouldn't be legislated out (the NFL over the weekend sent memos to teams saying to tone down the trash talking).  When I heard this, I was disappointed.  How is calling someone something inappropriate entertaining?  Same goes for flipping the middle finger at a city?

Words do matter and they can affect a lot of things.  Personally, I think it's more entertaining what happens on the field rather than words that are said off the field.  Words do have an impact.  I know personally how much of an impact words have in people's lives and what my interaction is with them.  As a follower of Jesus, I'm reminded of the words that Jesus himself said in Matthew 12:34b where He said "For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks".  What's in my heart is reflected on what comes out of my mouth.  When I'm following after Jesus like I should be, it will be reflected in my words and actions.

When I hear trash talk like this past weekend, I'm not entertained, I'm saddened.  I hope that there are people who can speak into those players' lives and show them Christ.  Let the product on the field be the entertainment, let the conduct off the field be more respectful.

No comments: