Friday, January 14, 2011

2011 Divisional Round Predictions

It's time for more predictions, the Divisional Round is here and last week I went 2-2.  Ironically it was the first game and the last game of the weekend that I got correctly.  This weekend has some intriguing matchups with some hard decisions as to who I will pick.  So here's the picks:

The first matchup of the weekend is Baltimore vs. Pittsburgh.  If there was any matchup this weekend that I didn't like either team, this would be it.  I kind of wish this was an instance where it was like pro wrestling and there was a double disqualification and both don't advance.  However, that's not the case.  Baltimore came off a win against Kansas City.  Pittsburgh enjoyed the bye week off and got some rest to help with some of their injuries.  A key stat is that Baltimore's coach John Harbaugh has never beaten Pittsburgh when Ben Roethilsberger starts for the Steelers....he's starting for the Steelers.

Steelers 24 Ravens 17

The primetime game on Saturday is Green Bay vs. Atlanta.  They met in the regular season in one of the marquee games of the year and the Falcons came out on top.  Aaron Rodgers got his first playoff win last weekend on the road against Philly and it was the first time Green Bay had won a road playoff game since the late 90s.  Matt Ryan has lost only two times as a starter at the Georgia Dome (20-2) however, he lost his previous playoff game in a shootout against Kurt Warner and the Atlanta Falcons a couple of years ago.  This will probably be the game of the weekend.  I like both teams.  I could see either of these teams in the Super Bowl.  But given propensity to who I'm picking in the next game.  I'm going to say that Rodgers and Green Bay get revenge and eek out a victory.

Packers 27 Falcons 24

The early Sunday game features Seattle vs. Chicago.  Last week Seattle won in a shootout over the defending champs New Orleans.  They put together one of their best games of the season.  The running game came alive and QB Matt Hasselbeck channeled the 2005 version and had a big game.  Now they travel to Chicago to take on the Bears.  These two teams met earlier in the year and Seattle won that matchup.  The Bears are a different team but so are the Seahawks.  One key stat is that first time starters in the playoffs since 2003 are 5-19.  On top of that, this is the first postseason game in the career of Jay Cutler, college or pro.  And then a thought, prior to the playoffs starting I said that these Seahawks remind me of the 08 Cardinals, inconsistent in the regular season, turn it on at the end and make a deep playoff run.  Last week didn't do anything to deter me from that thought.  I'm going homer and picking the Hawks.

Seahawks 27 Bears 17

The final game of the divisional round is between the NY Jets and New England.  This has become of the big rivalries in the NFL with both sides spouting off at the mouth.  I know there are a lot of people who can't stand New England.  I don't mind them that much.  I used to like them but after the 2009 game against the Titans when Belicheck ran up the score I don't really like them anymore.  But, I'm really not a fan of the Jets.  So simply put, I'd like to see what happened the last time these two teams met happen again.  Pats roll.

Patriots 42 Jets 17

So there you have it, I'm thinking a Packers/Seahawks NFC Championship game and a Steelers/Patriots AFC Championship game.  So lets see if I end up right or not.

1 comment:

Adam Winters said...

My gut tells me to go with Jets/Bears in an unlikely Superbowl. But my brain tells me the Patriots will blow out the Jets, squeak by the Ravens in the AFC Championship, and blow out Chicago in the Superbowl.