Friday, January 21, 2011

2011 Conference Championship Picks

It's time to make my picks for the AFC & NFC Championship Games.  It's funny so far I've been a combined .500 so far this year in the playoff (4-4).  The odds are that means I'll pick one right and one wrong....or I could pick both correct or get both wrong.  So we'll see...

The first game is the NFC Championship game between the Green Bay Packers and the Chicago Bears.  These two long time rivals are facing each other only for the second time in the playoffs (the last time was in 1941).  These two split the season series matchup.  The Bears beat the Packers in the first matchup while the Packers won in the last week of the season to get into the playoffs.

After early season bumps, both teams turned it on later in the season.  The Bears found somewhat of a balance between pass and run and their defense is as strong as it always is.  The Packers fought through injuries to key players and are riding a hot streak into and through the playoffs.

The two key questions are the following:  Can the Bears trust Jay Cutler?  Can the Packers win three road playoff games?

In thinking through who to pick in this game, two factors play into it.  One, the Bears beat the Seahawks, one of the two teams I root for.  Two, I had Aaron Rodgers on my fantasy football team (the one that has won 4 championships in 10 years).  With those two factors in play, I picking the Packers to win.

Packers 17 Bears 13

The late game is the AFC Championship game between the New York Jets and Pittsburgh.  They faced each other in the regular season with the Jets getting the win.

The Jets are the definition of up and down.  They have the talent but they also squander it on numerous occasions.  The Steelers overcame the loss of Big Ben early to end up the #2 seed.  Both teams have really good defenses.  Both teams have offenses that can make plays.


This matchup I really don't care about at all.  I don't really like either team.  But I do respect Pittsburgh's coach Mike Tomlin.  And I don't respect the way the Jets talk and act.  If I have to pick between these two, I'm going with the Steelers.

Steelers 24 Jets 10

No comments: