Thursday, January 13, 2011

Syncretism and LeBron James: Mixing Karma and God

There are times when I should know to not be surprised.  When it comes to LeBron James, I guess I still get surprised by some of the things he says.  The latest thing he said was in a tweet Tuesday night that came out after his former team the Cleveland Cavaliers got blown out by the Los Angeles Lakers.  James tweeted the following:  "Crazy. Karma is a b****. Gets you every time. It's not good to wish bad on anybody. God sees everything!"

When I first read the tweet (which was later retweeted by Michael Smith, ESPN columnist), I didn't know the context of the Cavs/Lakers game.  I just read it straight up.  My first thought was "You're mixing God and karma....they really don't go together."  I wondered if he understood that or if to him they're the same thing or if he thinks God uses karma or whatever.  When I found out the context, I thought "Well it seems he is still bitter and holding onto some hurt there."

The next day he then responds kind of backpedaling saying the following:  "It's just how I was feeling at the time.  It wasn't even a comment from me, it was someone who sent it to me and I sent it out  It wasn't toward that team.  It definitely wasn't a good showing by that team last night, I know they wish they would've played better."  First off, if he retweeted it, probably would have been designated as a retweet.  Second, he doesn't say where it comes from, he just says someone sent it to him.  Aside from the twitter ettiqute of knowing what you're tweeting, it is interesting how he will say a controversial comment one day and then the next day try and defend or retract the statement.

But as much as that stood out, another comment that he gave stood out.  He said when talking about karma, it is a word or concept that "I've kinda always used my whole life."  You want to know something (or someone) LeBron that's better than karma?  Jesus.  Instead of getting what we deserve for the bad that we do, we can put our faith and trust in Jesus, who died for our sins and we don't have to worry about trying to do good to save ourselves (because we can never do enough good for that).

I hope that LeBron comes to know Jesus in a personal way as his Lord and Savior.  Because right now it seems that he's trying to do his own thing to appease karma.  And you can't really mix karma & God.  Doesn't really work...

No comments: