Sunday, August 24, 2008

Reflections on the 2008 Olympic Games

The last day of the 2008 Summer Olympics has come. And while there are so many stories to tell, here are a few snippets of what I'll take from it.

*It was something special to see Michael Phelps achieve what he did. So many times we hear about athletes and how they are favored to win games or events but they aren't able to whether by great competitors or underachieving. Phelps was able to accomplish the feat of 8 gold medals by his talents and also through teammates in the relays. More so in the water, I was impressed by him out of the water. For 23 years old, he seemed very mature. I hope to see and hear more good things out of him.

*The Redeem Team took care of business, winning the gold medal and going 8-0 in the games. It was the first time in my mind since the first two Dream Teams (1992, 1996) where the players really respected the country in which they played for and the other countries as well. And though I never thought I'd say this, I have come to respect Kobe Bryant. I think this experience with him in the Olympics has made him a better athlete and a better person. Though I wouldn't go as far as to say I will root for the guy in the future, he has earned my respect and that's saying something.

*For as much as there was made about they Olympics being in China, there was a lot of positive stories to come out of there. Though there is a lot of negative stuff that still surrounds this country regarding civil rights and oppression of the Gospel, hopefully these past two weeks have been an opportunity that God will use to open the country up and for people both inside the country and out to see what all is available to them.

No comments: