Friday, August 8, 2008

Red Sox Nation in Kansas City....Fifth Royals Game In Review

Tuesday was a big day. It was a part of the yearly tradition I have done since 2005. That tradition being attending a Red Sox game. This year was no exception. I purchased the tickets way in advance and got some really prime seats (fifth row seats, lower level, third base side). I was excited and ready to get to the game.

My buddy and huge Royals fan Kyle went with me. He wore his Billy Butler jersey while I wore my David Ortiz jersey. We got to the stadium about 20 minutes prior to first pitch so I was unable to get pictures of batting practice like I normally do. But I was just happy to make it there before the game started.

Some highlights and thoughts:

*It was really nice to see a good Red Sox starting pitcher. Josh Beckett pitched that night. After getting the likes of Wade Miller, Kyle Snyder and Kason Gabbard, it was a treat to see the ace of the staff pitch. And I wasn't disappointed. He pitched a great game and got the win. I saw first hand what I had seen many times on TV, when he has his stuff going there are very few people who can keep up with him.

*I was happy that Jacoby Ellsbury had a good night at the plate. He's been in kind of a slump this year. Hopefully this will be the catalyst to get him going for the rest of the season.

*One sad thing happened at the ball park. There was a foul ball that hit a little kid right on the nose. It was a high pop up that carried foul. It came right to our section probably ten to fifteen rows back from where we were. One guy had his hands up and completely missed the ball. It went right through his hands and hit the kid who was sitting down next to him. They called the ushers over to attend to the kid. In the end, he was okay.

*I saw the play where the ball hung up on the fence. Though I was disappointed that it wasn't called a home run. I understand why it didn't. Kauffman Stadium does not have a yellow line on it's walls. For those who don't know, a yellow line means if it hits that line, it's a home run. So here, if it hits the top of the fence and bounces back, it's not a home run. Or, if it stays on top of the fence like it did then, it's not a home run. It may be something that gets looked at in the offseason or it may not I don't know.

*It was kind of funny when there was a Red Sox chant going. The Royals fans would start in with their chant. When that happened, it sounded muddled because both teams start with the letter R. So it sounded like loud mumbling. Like I said, kind of funny.

*Overall, it was a good time. Sat next to some interesting Red Sox fans and talked with throughout the game. Red Sox won the game 8-2 (which unfortunately puts the record of the Royals at games I attend at 1-4) and improved their record of games I attend to 3-1.

No comments: