Thursday, July 31, 2008

Trading Deadline Reflections

The trading deadline of MLB has come and gone and two major trades went down and both were shocking to me.

First, Ken Griffey Jr. was traded from the Cincinnati Reds to the Chicago White Sox for two minor league players and cash. I'm kind of disappointed in a way because I'd much rather he would have been traded a year ago around this time back to the Seattle Mariners. I'm still hoping that before his career is over with that he'll return with the Mariners. This should boost the White Sox lineup but they're still going to have a tough time with the Minnesota Twins in the AL Central.

The other and more relavent to me is the one that sends Manny Ramirez away from the Boston Red Sox. It was a three team deal that also involved the Los Angeles Dodgers and Pittsburgh Pirates. The Dodgers get Ramriez, the Pirates get four players and the Red Sox get Jason Bay. From the perspective of the Red Sox, they get a All-Star OF in Bay who has had similar numbers as Ramirez this year. Personally, I'm torn. Like what I said yesterday, I've liked Manny Ramirez for a long time. But this year it seems his attitude has really taken a turn south (as in not good). I really think the comments he made yesterday really pushed it over the edge. It'll make things interesting next week when I go see the Sox play here in K.C.

No comments: