Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Sports Analogy: "The Pep Talk"

Most people that know me know I love sports analogies. So it's no surprise that I thought of one last night right before I went to small group. The past few weeks I had been feeling down just with things in my life. I got an e-mail from an old friend and boss of mine and among other things it was an encouragment.

Sometimes in life we have seasons where things aren't going our way or we're getting knocked around. It's in those times where we need people in our lives who can encourage us. The sports analogy is this, the "pep talk". It's halftime or intermission. The team is down, feeling defeated. Coach walks in or the captain of the team and fires the team up giving encouragment and pushing the team to play up to potential. The team is reenergized and ready to go out and face the competition again.

As believers, we have those seasons in our life where we get knocked down. And I believe God places people in our lives to encourage us, to give us these "pep talks". Sometimes we're the ones to give the "pep talk" to those who are down. It's an important part of being a community following Jesus, to help one another to carry burdens we all face.

No comments: