Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Random Sports Reflections

Here's some things I've been thinking on recently:

*Brett Favre's unretirement: I don't know what I think to be honest. It's hard to "pick a side" on the issue. What I do know is this, there is a difference in media coverage today as opposed to ten years ago. When Michael Jordan retired (well the first and second times), there weren't as much media coverage as there is today. Sure ESPN was in full swing but the internet wasn't as big as it is today and there is almost the instant access of media that seems to be prevalent in society today. So while it's been in the news for months now, it was only just this week that he filed the papers to unretire. It will be interesting to see how this event looks five years from now.

*Manny Ramirez and trade rumors: There has been buzz recently about Manny being traded and with the deadline tomorrow there is serious talk about it. I even read some comments supposedly that Manny made to a reporter from ESPN Deportes (who ironically, contributed to a story about Jose Guillen and Trey Hillman which was called out both by Guillen and Hillman as being false) saying that he's ready to leave and that the Red Sox don't deserve him. Honestly, as a Red Sox fan, when I read that I was sad and disappointed in Manny. I liked Manny and yes I put up with some of the stupid stuff the did from time to time. I don't know what to think of him now. I don't think the Sox should trade him. I still think that he and David Ortiz (my favorite Sox player) make for a great 1-2 punch. I guess we'll see how this plays out.

*The Olympics: The Summer Olympics start next week (August 8th). I'm so excited about the start of the games. It's one of the great things that happens during a leap year. I still would some day like to go to an Olympic event (the closest I could have come was in 1996 in Atlanta but I was only 16 and couldn't make it down there). It'll be awesome to watch and see what stories come out of the games this year.

No comments: