Sunday, April 19, 2009

Reflections on the Retirement of John Madden

Last Thursday, John Madden, former Oakland Raiders coach, color commentator and hall of famer, decided to retire from broadcasting. It was something that I knew at some point would happen and it happened to be now.

For me, football on Sundays (and for a while on Mondays) were defined in some ways by Madden. Growing up watching games, the big games had Madden calling them. When you turned the TV on and you saw and heard Pat Summerall and John Madden calling the game, you knew it'd be a good one. My favorite memories were during Thanksgiving when Madden would give a turducken leg to the player or players of the game.

Of course to be my age, Madden is also sinonymous with video games. I remember playing my first Madden game on SNES when I was about 11 or 12. I have owned several versions on several consoles and it was cool to hear Madden's commentary while playing a game.

It will be a loss not hearing him in the booth. Wish you all the best John in your retirement.

No comments: