Thursday, May 7, 2009

Third Royals Game 2009...In Review

I was able to take in my third Royals game of the year today...it was also one where I wasn't rooting for the Royals. Yes, the Seattle Mariners were in town and I was rooting for the M's. It was a 1:10pm first pitch and I had a class that finished around noon so it meant getting to the ballpark right before first pitch. Here are some highlights:

*It was "School Day at the 'K'" which meant that there were 20,000 kids in attendance. What surprised me was the walkup for a day game in May. There were about 32,000 people in the stadium which made it loud. The Royals are starting to develop a nice little homefield advantage.

*The M's played tough. Jarrod Washburn pitched a really good game. They just couldn't cash in with runners in scoring position.

*The Royals put up a strong performance from Bannister. Juan Cruz had another good outing and Soria fought through in the 9th to get the victory.

*I was one of the few, the proud, Mariners fans in the stadium. I wore my old trusty Mariners hat along with my new Griffey jersey that I got recently. It felt weird cheering and there was no sound at times. I could literally hear myself clapping when the M's were doing something. I wouldn't be surprised if I got on TV back in Seattle since there weren't that many M's fans there.

*It was a bittersweet day. Dave Niehaus, play by play commentator for the M's was calling his 5,000th game, which was cool. The M's fought and got the bases loaded in the 9th. But the Royals held on for a 3-1 victory.

The Royals have won six straight now and are 2-1 in games I've went to seen. They might make it interesting for the duration of the season.

I'll recap the 2nd Royals chapel that took place recently at Midwestern seminary in the next few days. Until then, if you're in a MLB city, take in a game, it's a great time to do it.

No comments: