Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Sports Analogy: "The Backup Quarterback"

I shared this analogy with my small group in my church last month. It was one that I thought of when our small group leader asked the question "What has God taught you lately?"

Here's the analogy: I was spending the last year (2007) a starting quarterback on a team that wasn't successful. My contract was ending at the end of the year and I knew that it was time for me to move on. So I signed with a different team in another city. However, I went from being a starting quarterback to being the backup quarterback. I was not the one who was ultimately responsible. I was the one with the clipboard and the headset. But the team I came to was successful and was a winning team. And I was able to get excited and find joy again after being on a team that wasn't as successful. Also, as a "veteran", I've been able to share my experiences and advice to the "young starter" who's leading the team. I'm able to help him grow and through that help the team be even more successful. All the while, I'm still preparing knowing that at sometime I'll get a starting opportunity again and that can be at any moment.

It was for the best that I left Seattle. Even though I still love the city and the people, things just weren't working out being with the church plant I was with. Coming to Kansas City and being at Fellowship of Grace has been refreshing and renewing for me. Things are on the upswing and I'm excited to see how things will turn out. Sometimes a starter needs to get a view from the sidelines in order to better handle situations when you do get back on the field.

No comments: