Monday, January 19, 2009

Reflections on Tony Dungy

Unfortunately with class last week, I was unable to blog about this when it happened. But now that I have time, I wanted to look at and reflect on Tony Dungy. He retired this past week and ended a coaching career that was successful in a lot of ways. He lead two teams to the playoffs (Tampa Bay and Indianapolis) for many years and won a Super Bowl just a couple of years ago.

But what stood out to me was his integrity and his faith. He was not one of those kind of coaches who was loud and brash. He was a very quiet coach but who was still able to get the best out of his players. He was vocal about his faith even when it was tested. When his son committed suicide, he was able to get through that hard time through is faith in Christ. He told others that was how he was dealing with the sudden loss of his son. I haven't had a chance to read his book "Quiet Strength" but I hope to at some point.

Tony Dungy is a man who loves Jesus, loves his family and did a good job at what he did. He is a quality character and he will be missed in football circles.

1 comment:

Adam said...

I think at this point, it would be easier to make a list of NFL coaches who are returning next year than a list of NFL teams who have changed their leadership.

That said, Dungy has always been a class act and I hope God uses him mightily in whatever is next in his future.