Sunday, January 11, 2009

Pacman and Second Chances

It seems like only yesterday I was making a similar post like this (it actually was about ten months ago). But it seems like after hearing what I heard yesterday, it's prompted me to write again on the subject of Adam "Pacman" Jones, the now ex-Dallas Cowboys DB. He was cut by the team (who traded for him last offseason, then subsequently got suspended for a couple of games in the middle of the season and is now under allegations involving an incident a few years ago at an Atlanta (yes you can guess) strip club.

Jones and his lawyer were on the CBS NFL pregame show to talk about that and his off the field issues. Now granted, he did say in the piece that he is dealing with alcohol problem, going to AA meetings and seeing a counselor. But when asked by host James Brown about strip clubs, Jones' response was this: "Strip clubs are just like any other club."

Let that sink in for a moment...."Strip clubs are like any other club." Hmmm, I'm no rocket scientist but I'm pretty sure that a strip club is not just like any other club. It kind of says so in the name. What doesn't make it like any other club is the 'strip' part of it. When he said that I laughed (not really the proper response I know but first reaction) and then I just shook my head. Here is a young guy (he's younger than me at 25) who has all the talent in the world. He has been blessed with athletic ability that not too many people have. He has been given chances in a league that is hard to get a job in. And yet, he has done the things that he's done.

It's an object lesson in two ways. One, it should be a reminder that we are no different that Pacman. We are all given talent in some way by God. And we don't use it like we should and squander it because we live for ourselves and not for Him. Yet, in his mercy and compassion, we are able to have a second chance (and third, and fourth) because of Jesus and the work He did on the cross. In having a relationship with Jesus, we can get our act together and use the gifts we've been given properly and to our fullest potential. Two, it's a prime example of showing love and forgiveness to others. Yes, what Pacman has done is wrong and he will have to live with the consequences of those actions, but we are called to forgive one another. I hope that there are people in his life now (if not I hope some will come his way soon) that will love on him and show mercy and forgiveness.

I don't think Pacman is too far gone. If I can be saved, he can be saved. I'm no better than he is. I'm just a sinner saved from myself by the grace of God. I hope that Pacman will turn his life around. We'll see how the next few months and years play out. I'm sure we haven't heard the last of Pacman...

No comments: