Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Reflecting on the Year in Sports 2008

2008 is about to come to an end and with it another year in sports. I've heard many people say that this year is the "Greatest Year in Sports". I don't know if I would go that far but I will say it was a memorable one. Here's some highlights that stick in my mind:

1.) Super Bowl XLII...or the Super Bowl that ruined perfection. While the Patriots are not my favorite team (that would be the Titans followed by the Seahawks), I was hoping they would finish off the perfect season just because it has never been done in my lifetime. So when the Giants won I was disappointed. Guess that's what this upcoming playoffs is for...sweet redemption in the Giants losing, hopefully before they get to the Super Bowl.

2.) Another thrilling March Madness with the championship game going into overtime with Memphis and Kansas. It once again shows how a tournament works in deciding a champion. If only Division I football would learn this lesson...

3.) The first annual "Winter Classic" put on by the NHL with the Penguins and Sabres last New Year's Day. It was a cool concept and cool game. I'm looking forward to this year's edition with the Blackhawks and Red Wings at Wrigley Field.

4.) The Boston Celtics winning the NBA Finals after a long drought. It was cool seeing the Celts (one of the first teams that I watched as a little kid) back on top and even more so beating the Lakers. It was a definite highlight of the NBA.

5.) However, a definite lowlight was the debacle that involved Clay Bennett and the team which shall not be mentioned. It was sad that David Stern, whom I regarded as one of the best comissioners today would allow a travesty like letting that franchise to leave Seattle. I take some solace in the fact that the franchise is on pace to set the worst record in the regular season. But I have lost respect for David Stern and until they rectify the situation by getting a team back in Seattle, the NBA will be probably my third favorite sports league, possibly my fourth.

6.) The 2008 Summer Olympics definitely lived up to the hype. I wondered if it was going to be pulled of in Bejing but it was. Obviously for me the highlights were Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, the beach volleyball (both men's and women's) and the Redeem Team (men's basketball).

7.) The Tampa Bay Rays making the World Series. I never thought I'd see the day they would but I did. They ended up losing to the Phillies, who hadn't won since I was like nine months old, but still it was something. Unfortunately with the way the Yankees are spending yet again, it may be forever before the Rays ever get back.

8.) The return of the Titans. It was cool that they started the year of 2008 in the playoffs (losing unfortunately but making it). Even more so was the 2008 season which saw them finish 13-3 (tieing the franchise record), winning the AFC South (first time since 2002 season), getting the #1 overall seed. I must say it was a surprise and I hope that the first part of 2009 will bring a Super Bowl victory and the Lombardi trophy back to Nashville.

As far as personal highlights, I went to my first Arena Football game in about 10 years, went to eight Royals games (including seeing both the Red Sox and the Mariners). I also went to my first NHL game in three years.

It was a cool and interesting sports year. It'll be interesting to see how 2009 will shape up

No comments: