Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Reflections on Vince Young

By now, many have heard about what has went on the past few days with Vince Young. Let me preface my thoughts by saying I am a Titans fan and I like him as a quarterback.

It was sad when I heard about what happened on Monday with the cops having been called in and him being missing. How he was described as being depressed and hurt emotionally. Now while some of it was maybe overblown, it does raise up some points.

First, he is human. So often (myself included), we tend to look just at the player and what he does on the field/court and tend to forget that he (or she) has a life outside of it with the same struggles/problems that we do. There is a tremendous amount of pressure on him I'm sure both from outside and inside and it is handed differently by people.

Second, his injury may be a blessing in disguise. His sprained knee will give him some time off to heal and in that time maybe it'll be a chance to get away and also deal with the things going on emotionally so that when he comes back he'll be healthy all around.

Three, this is a great opportunity for those on the team who follow Jesus to speak into his life. I don't know if Vince follows Jesus or not. If he doesn't, this would be hopefully an opportunity that he would be receptive to Jesus and that those teammates and staff who are believers would be able to share with him the Good News.

I am praying for him during this time. Not just that he'll heal up and get back on the field. But that he will be healed on the inside and that from this experience it will be a testimony to the work that God can do in a person's life whether they're a sports star or not. My hope and prayer is there will be a good ending to this story and that God will be glorified in it.

2 comments:

Adam said...

Good thoughts.

I pray the same about Tom Brady:
http://www.thesportspoint.net/2008/08/tom-brady-god-doesnt-give-shit-about.html
(Pardon the language, of course)

Adam said...

Let's hope he finds a better spiritual mentor than Don Miguel:
http://www3.cw56.com/news/articles/sports/BO84286/