Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Real Opening Day of the NFL

Anyone who knows me knows that I love football. This weekend was the first weekend of wall-to-wall football with yesterday and college football and then today with the pros.

It was my first season not starting the season watching it on the West Coast. Over there, what would happen would be watch the pregame shows (mainly the CBS one) then a little bit of the first quarter of the early games before getting ready for worship. Then after the service, watching the fourth quarter of the first game and then going from there. Now, being back in the Central Time Zone, it's back to being able to watch both games as they come on after the worship service.

Unfortunately, also being in Kansas City means two things. One, the CBS affiliate will only show Chiefs games (being an AFC team means not as much opportunity to see the Titans) and two, the FOX affiliate will more than likely only show Rams games (which if there is a bright side, means I'll at least get to see two Seahawks games as they are in the same division).

This week ended up being a mixed feeling kind of day. On the down side, the Seahawks got beat down by the Bills (the Bills!?). I can kind of understand it being that it was in Buffalo. I don't think it will be indictive of the rest of the season. They will get healthy and they'll do well.

On the up side was, of course, the Tennessee Titans. They beat their division rival Jacksonville Jaguars 17-10. It was great on a number of levels. One, they won the game. Two, they beat a division rival. Three, they did it at home (LP Field). Four, the defense showed up as usual and had a beat down of a performance (7 sacks, 2 INTs, 1 fumble recovery). And five, Chris Johnson, the rookie running back, showed why he is going to be a factor in the Titans' offense. The only concern was QB Vince Young not having a great day and also got a sprained knee which knocked him out of the game. Hopefully, it won't be serious and he'll be back for next week's game.

So to recap:

Seahawks = sad that they are 0-1

Titans = very happy and elated that they are 1-0

2 comments:

Adam said...

I'm feeling for Brady. I hate to see an elite athlete break down at the pinacle of his career.

I also hate that I have 2 NE WRs on my team with no one to throw to them! :-(

Anonymous said...

FOX does the same thing... I don't get to see many daytime games from my Bears.. always the RAMS.. :(