Thursday, February 14, 2008

Steroids and Baseball....And Telling the Truth

One of the prevailing stories of the year and really the past decade and beyond has been steroids and HGH in baseball. The big thing this week was the testimony of Roger Clemens and his trainer before Congress. And while that story has yet to play out, the thing I wanted to touch on was on of the other people involved, Andy Pettitte.

Now anyone that knows me know that I don't like the Yankees. They are a team that do not root for, nor care for. But I have been a fan of Pettitte for a long time, even having him on my keeper fantasy baseball team for several years. He is also a professed Christian. When I heard that he was named in the Mitchell report, I was shocked. It just seemed like that was wrong. The very next day, he came out with a statement saying it was true, that he did take HGH (human growth hormone). This was made clear again this week with a sworn statement that was taken before Congress and read into record during the hearings.

One thing I think that can be taken away from this is how Pettitte faced things. He was wrong in taking HGH and openly admitted it. It's a reminder that we as believers still struggle and that we are going to mess up now and then but that we can own up to our mistakes and be sorry about it and ask God for forgiveness and that He will forgive.

I still have respect for Andy Pettitte. I can't say the same for others in baseball.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait for the season to start so people can focus more on wins and losses than whether or not a player is juicing. I don't come out as strongly against steroids and hgh as some (people in all eras of baseball have attempted to get a leg up somehow), and I think the best players of this era should get in the HOF (McGwire, Clemens, Bonds).

I do respect Pettitte for admitting his use instead of denying and lying. I'm just ready to see some games played, instead of hearing about the Mitchell Report.