Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Reflections from College Basketball

I was looking on ESPN.com and came across an article about a college basketball player named Lester Hudson. What initially got my attention was that it was an article about a player from UT Martin. I went to grad school at UTM and I try to keep up with their teams as best I can, given that they don't get too much national press.

The story it told was of a player who came from inner city Memphis, didn't really do much in school. In fact, he didn't graduate from high school. Got into a junior college, got his GED but wasn't able to graduate from junior college. Walked on at UTM, paid his own way there and even sat out a year so he could play there.

The fact that this kid is at the point where he's at now is impressive. What impressed me in that story was the fact that there were several times where he could have just quit but he didn't. I'm glad he made it at UTM and is having the success he's having. I'm also glad he's at UTM because of the coach there, Bret Campbell. I know Coach Campbell, I had a class with him while I was there. He's not only a great coach but he's also a great Christian man. I know he's teaching Lester good basketball skills along with modeling Jesus to him.

I hope that this story continues and that more good things will be heard about this kid.

If you want to read the article for yourself, here's the address:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/columns/story?id=3252464

No comments: