Friday, September 17, 2010

Random Sports Reflections

It was about time for another post and there are several things rummaging in my head so I figured why not get them down in a random post.

*This week Reggie Bush returned his Heisman Trophy that he won back in 2005.  This was the first time this had happened and he said "I just felt like it was the best thing to do, the most respectful thing to do because obviously I do respect the Heisman. I do respect all the things it stands for."  It stems from the controversy of his family receiving benefits while he was at USC.  He says that him returning the trophy is not an admission of guilt.  Personally I feel conflicted.  On the one hand, if he was innocent and everything then there's no reason to give up the trophy.  OJ Simpson never had to give up his trophy and look at the controversy he caused.  On the other hand, he shouldn't have the trophy to begin with (I would have said that back in 2005, Vince Young should have won it).  Regardless, the Heisman people now say that it is vacant.  However, just like the NCAA may take away tournaments and wins from people, we all know that Reggie Bush won the Heisman in 2005.  It seems Bush has learned his lesson and is trying to help youngsters not fall into the "alleged" trap that he and his family fell into.

*The NFL season is underway and I'm super excited.  Both the Titans and Seahawks won their season openers, which was the first time since 2007 (my last fall in Seattle).  Given how the two teams were last season, I'm cautiously optimistic they could do well and maybe even make the playoffs this year (again first time since 2007 both teams make the playoffs).

*I'm disappointed in how the baseball season turned out with the Royals and Mariners pretty much laying over and playing dead most of the year.  It is cool that the Cincinnati Reds are doing well and they're my team to root for come the playoffs.  As long as the Yankees don't win, I'll be happy.

Well that's all that's been rattling in my head.  It's great that it's fall with football here.  It's good times indeed.

No comments: