Monday, August 30, 2010

Sports Analogy: Training Camp

It has been a long time since I had a sports analogy but one recently popped into my head and it was appropriate time and season for it.  Right now, I'm starting what will be a year long internship (broken up into two semesters) in which I will (hopefully) finish my Master's of Divinity at Midwestern Seminary.  In one sense, it will be a daunting task but in another sense it will be good.

I was mulling over this past weekend what I needed to do in the next nine months to get to graduation.  Like I said earlier looking at it initially it seems rather daunting, this internship is what's riding on me getting my degree in May.  But I was reminded by the Holy Spirit that I'm given just today and I have to take it one day at a time.  It is very much like training camp (which is appropriate given the time of year for football).  Players and coaches have a goal of winning the Super Bowl.  And in July and August, that does seem like a pretty daunting task.  But they take each day of training camp to prepare for the season.  They take it one day at a time.  Then when the season comes, they focus on the next game at hand.  Soon enough, they are at the end of the season and are holding up the championship trophy.  They didn't skip all the way to the end.  They took it one game at a time, one day at a time.

Too often we (myself included) get caught up and worried about how we're going to accomplish certain goals.  We need to be reminded by the Father that all we're given is today.  We need to be diligent at doing the work for today and the long term goals will be taken care of as we reach the designated time frame for each of them.  We all go through seasons of life where we are either to begin a new season, in the middle of a season or coming to the end.  Whatever season you're in, focus on the task at hand and what God has given you to do.

No comments: