Monday, February 1, 2010

Reflections on Kurt Warner's Retirement

This past Friday, Kurt Warner, All-Pro and MVP quarterback retired from the NFL. It was expected but at the same time kinda sad. He went out on his own terms and did so while still having something left in the tank.

There are several things I've thought about in reflecting on Kurt. First, he's a great guy and a class act. He is someone who is strong in his faith and has reflected Christ both on and off the field. I must admit, I wasn't too happy when his team won the Super Bowl (the Rams back in Super Bowl XXXIV because they beat my Titans) but I admired the guy from where he came from. This was even more the case the past few years in Arizona. Though he was a rival to the Seahawks (who became my second team after living in Seattle for three years), I was really impressed by how he handled being a backup to Matt Leinart to coming in and lighting up the desert. I was rooting for Arizona last year in the Super Bowl and for Kurt.

There's always the debate about when one retires. In the end, I hold it's up to the person. Just as much as Brett Favre deserves to play as long as he wants, I think Kurt's right in deciding to retire now. God has blessed those who get to play the game with the ability and desire. I'm sure Kurt still loves the game but I believe he loves Jesus and his family more than the game and rightfully so.

Kurt, you will be missed and I hope you continue to do big things and serve God in whatever way He calls you to.

No comments: