Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Reflections on Calling, Career and Baseball

I heard this story last week and I thought it was interesting. Grant Desme, a prospect for the Oakland A's, decided to quit baseball and follow after a calling to join the priesthood. It was first mentioned on ESPN.com and then this week Desme was interviewed with Dan Patrick. It was a really interesting interview and I would recommend listening to it if you get the chance. Here's a link to the interview.

One point that was brought up in the interview was a comparison between Tim Tebow and Grant Desme. Tebow is going to go to the NFL and use the platform as a professional athlete to share his faith while Desme is going into the priesthood to share his faith. I think it's hard to say that Desme is wrong for quitting baseball while he's still a good prospect (he was the Fall League MVP) and has an opportunity to make the big leagues. He feels lead by God to pursue ministry and that is something that we all must individually deal with.

I liked one quote that Desme said to Patrick. He said this "I want to throw everything I have into giving everything I have for God." That's something that I'd hope to do in my life.

No comments: