Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Random Sports Reflections

Here's some random stuff to talk about:

*I'm disappointed in the Red Sox not making the World Series. Given the way the team finished, I guess it was the best to be expected. I'm not really excited about the World Series this year with the (Devil) Rays and the Phillies. I think if I have to pick a team to root for, it'd be the Phillies. The city (Philadelphia) deserves a champ and the last time they won the World Series I was like 8 months old (so 28 years ago) so I'm thinking they're due. I'll say Phillies in 6.

*I'm not really into college football this year. Partly I think it has to do with the Vols and the Huskies having horrible years. All I know is the one thing that's always the case every year...the BCS won't work. Some way shape or form, it won't work and people will want a playoff (which every other division and every other sport have).

*I'm disappointed in the Seahawks. Ever since I've moved, they've went in the tank. Could me moving have put a jinx on them? Could it be the curse of Shaun Alexander in cutting him? Or could it be that they just have way too many injuries this year to overcome. At this point, it might just be worth looking forward to next year, getting a good draft pick and settling into new coach Jim Mora Jr.

*I just heard today that the 49ers fired Mike Nolan and hired Mike Singletary as the interim head coach. Anyone who knows me knows how much of a Singletary fan I am. Growing up, he was one of my favorite players to watch. I respected him both on and off the field. I've felt he's been due a head coaching opportunity after several years as a defensive coordinator. I might actually sort of start rooting for the 49ers again (for the first time in a long time) with him at the helm, though when they play the 'Hawks, still have to pull for the Hawks.

*I'm so excited about the Titans. They've been due a season like this in a long time. This team reminds me in a lot of ways of the dominant teams of the early part of this decade. If they continue to play like they have so far, I don't think there's any reason why they can't win the Super Bowl. If you got a defense like they do, a one-two running combo in White and Johnson, a kicker who's lights out good, and a veteran quarterback who's calm under pressure, then you have the formula for winning a championship.

No comments: