Wednesday, June 25, 2008

This Post Brought to you by the Letters R and K and by the Number 3 (aka Third Royals Game...In Review)

I went to my third Royals game of the year yesterday. This time it was an interleague matchup with the Colorado Rockies (hence brought to you by the letter R). One thing I like about K.C. is that you can get cheap deals on tickets. I got an e-mail from the team after the last game I went to in May and as a "thank you" they had a deal where there was 50% off most tickets in June. So of course got to take advantage of that. So me and my friend and huge Royals fan Kyle got some really good seats in the Field Box section on third base side about twenty rows back.

It was T-Shirt Tuesday, which they do once a month. This time it was a navy blue shirt with a cool logo on the front. I ended up exhanging the XL they gave me for a Medium, which was nice. It was a kind of muggy night. There was a chance of thunderstorms but the line came through already so it ended up being a good night for baseball.

It was an interesting game. Some highlights:

*Zack Greinke in the first inning picked off a guy at first who was leaning too far towards second. The funny thing was he threw over to first about two or three times before that and I said to Kyle if he does it again he'll pick him off. Sure enough he did. Just the first of my "predictions" to come true.

*The home plate umpire got hurt by the bat of Miguel Olivo shattering. That made national news. When the play happened, I didn't see the bat shatter. I was trailing the ball. It was when I looked back and saw everyone huddling around the ump. They ended up having about a 15 minute delay with attending to him and getting one of the other umps ready to take over behind the plate.

*Royals pitchers had a huge performance as far as strikeouts go. Greinke had 10 himself and the crazy thing was it was in like he did it in six innings and probably could have had more if it weren't for some bloop hits and such. It was a really strong pitching performance. Overall, there were like 13 K's (hence the brought to you by the letter K).

*I finally saw my first home run by a Royal. After seeing two by the opposing teams (Kevin Millar back in May and Matt Holiday earlier in the game), Alex Gordon came up and crushed one over the right center fence near the fountains. Yet another event that I "called" prior to it happening.

*I was hoping to see the closer Soria come in but with a four run lead, that didn't happen. What did happen was the reliever Ramon Ramirez threw some wild pitches including two behind the first batter of the ninth Torrealba. They were teammates in Colorado last year and don't know if there was bad blood with them or not. At the time, I just thought Ramirez just lost his control in between innings. But then he "settled down" and got the rest of the guys blazing through and got the win.

The third time was the charm (hence the number 3) as it took the third time for me to go to a game this year to see them win. They are now 1-2 in games I've went to. So all in all a good night. Got a free t-shirt, got to see some home runs, some really cool strikeouts, some fireworks and a Royals win. Not a bad night at all...

No comments: