Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Reflecting on Stanley Cup Hockey

I had some time last night to watch the Stanley Cup Final Game 5 (aka the NHL Finals). I enjoy watching hockey (maybe it's the latent Canadian in me) and I've been to a couple of games in my lifetime. So it was nice to sit down and watch a game and to have probably one of the best marquee matchups you could get. The Detroit Red Wings, the perennial team in hockey (aka the Yankees/Lakers) verses the Pittsburgh Penguins with the up and coming rising star in hockey with Sidney Crosby (aka Sid the Kid).

The series stood at 3-1 Detroit going into last night's game. I was rooting for Pittsburgh for two reasons. One, I didn't want Detroit to win the Cup (cause I'm a Nashville Predators fan and they're our big rival) and two, I'd like to see the series go to 7 games. Early on, it looked like it'd at least go to a 6th game as Pittsburgh went up 2-0 after the first period. Detroit fought back and later took the lead 3-2 in the third period and everyone in Detroit was getting ready to celebrate. But with less than a minute to go and with the goalie pulled, the Penguins scored a goal which forced it into overtime.

They then spent two overtimes with no goals and a lot of amazing saves by Fleury, the goalie for Pittsburgh. The third overtime saw the final goal by Pittsburgh as Petr Sykora scored and won the game. What was funny was during the second overtime, he spoke to the "sideline" reporter that he would score a goal, essentially calling his shot.

It was a great game, probably one of the best hockey games I've ever seen. I'm looking forward to seeing how Game 6 will go on Wednesday.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Mikey, you are a true sports fan, giving love to not only the Big Three sports but also the poor old hockey as well. Game 5 was incredible (and this coming from a RW fan). I had never seen a team come back after being so thoroughly dominated in the third period like Pitts. did in that last minute. Also, the underdog team usually doesn't win in 3OT either when facing elimination. Still, the superior Wings finally won out to my pleasure. The NHL needs more matchups like this.