Thursday, May 1, 2008

News and Notes from NFL Draft and Offseason So Far

It has been an interesting off season so far in the NFL and the teams that I root for. Here's looking at some of them:

Pacman got traded to Dallas. I'm not surprised about this. It was one of those things where it was just going to happen. I do hope that he turns his life around. Whether this will be the trigger for that, I don't know. But I do know that the Titans will now think twice about drafting a player in the future with the same type of issues as Pacman had.

Shaun Alexander got released from the Seahawks. This came as kind of a shock to me in a sense. It shouldn't have given the Hawks have signed Julius Jones and T.J. Duckett but at the same time Alexander was only two years ago considered the Franchise player. I was glad to hear from Alexander's statement to the media no ill will or hard feelings. He kept a very positive attitude and is reflective of his Christian faith, which he is very vocal with in Seattle. I do hope he finds a job somewhere else.

The NFL Draft. With regard to the Titans, my response was: Huh? They drafted guys who for the most part I'd never heard of. Which when I think about it, kind of goes along with their normal routine. I don't necessarily have a problem with that, just as long as these guys develop into quality players. The Seahawks' draft had a few more names on their roster that I know, particularly Owen Schmitt from West Virginia. He will fill some shoes as the replacement of FB Mack Strong but I think he'll be up to the task.

I was disappointed that there were no players drafted from U-Dub (University of Washington). Several players have signed free agent deals including Anthony Russo with the Seahawks and Greyson Gunheim with Oakland. I do hope those guys make it (though it will be hard given the process and all).

Only a few more months until training camp starts. I'm excited.

No comments: