Wednesday, November 7, 2012

"Winning the Big One": Reflections on Mark Richt

People that know college football know the name of Mark Richt, head football coach of the University of Georgia Bulldogs.  They also know that he is follower of Jesus.  In interviews that he's done throughout his coaching career, he's made clear that his faith is important in all aspects of his life including coaching.  A great example of this is an interview that Yahoo! Sports writer Dan Wetzel did this week.  The Bulldogs are in a great position to lock up the SEC East and have a shot of playing in the National Championship game if things fall into place.  But even in the midst of that, Richt has his priorites in order.

You can read the article here.  There were two quotes that I'll leave you with that stood out from me in the article that Richt said.

The first was:  "If we're doing the best we can every day and we're doing it in a first-class manner so that when I go home at night I can lay my head on the pillow and God would be pleased with the decisions I made, how I treated players and the coaches, the media, my wife and kids, I'm OK with that."

The second was:  "And Coach Bowden said (following FSU winning the national championship in 1993), 'You know why you don't feel any different? Because that's not really winning the big one. Winning the big one is when you accept Christ as your Lord and savior.'"

No comments: