Monday, July 30, 2012

Reflections on Opening Weekend of London Olympics

The Olympics are back.  The 30th Summer Olympic games have started and I'm watching as much as possible.  There were several things that stood out after this first weekend of games:

*It is one of those times where I wished I had cable or dish.  Many of the events are on live on the various networks of NBC (CNBC, MSNBC, NBC Sports Network, Bravo) and you can't see them unless you have cable.  And even in 2012 when a lot of sports events are streamed online or app, you have to have cable/dish accounts to access them.  Fail.

*For Michael Phelps, this is not Bejing.  Four years ago, he had a record medal haul.  So far, he's gotten a 4th place finish and a silver medal in relay.  It is a good reminder that one can't rest on history but have to focus on today.

*Another NBC gripe, still using tape delay when everyone can know the results through twitter or online.  No matter if you try or not, you find out.  It's 2012, you can show stuff live and still replay it later.

I'll probably blog some more about the games as they go along.  I'm enjoying watching when I can and what I can so far. 

No comments: