Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Random Sports Reflections

Some random sports reflections in late June...

*I didn't do a version of "If I were in charge of..." for NASCAR but if I did, the first thing I would do is keep Sprint Cup races on broadcast television.  FOX has the first half of the season & and shows all the Sprint Cup races on their station.  When June rolls around, there are barely any races on broadcast TV the rest of the season (TNT has about 6 races or so during June & early July & then ESPN picks up the telecasts showing barely any races on ABC) .  Like the problem I have with college football, if you take the championship (Chase for the Cup) off of broadcast TV (only 1 or 2 of the Chase races are on ABC, final race isn't one of those), you're not going to get the most people watching it.  I do know that you have to deal with football once fall rolls around but at the same time if it is compelling enough people will watch.

*Speaking of college football, it is looking more and more like a playoff system will be in place in about 2 years.  Having been a proponent of a playoff system, this is a good first step forward with a 4 team playoff.  I do think they should (and eventually will) expand it to at least 8 teams.  But the fact that all indications are one will be put in place is a huge step forward.

*Even though the countries that I was pulling for have already been knocked out of Euro 2012, I've enjoyed watching the tournament so far.  Any time you can watch great soccer in a major tournament format is worth it.  Even though I'm "late" to the sport (didn't pick up really watching it until I was in college), I've grown to like and enjoy watching it.  I've even grown to defending the sport against people taking shots at it.  I guess that really means you like a sport when you do that.  For those that are like eh about soccer, I would suggest watching the semis & the finals of Euro 2012 (and be sure to watch when the World Cup happens in 2 years).

No comments: