Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Another Cool Twitter Encounter

Ever since I got on Twitter (back around 2009), it has been for me a really good tool.  It has been my go to place for status updates for Facebook, a place for real time thoughts on games and events, and a really great place to interact with people that I don't normally get to interact with face to face.  I would say that my experience on Twitter has been 98% positive.

Another of the 98% happened last week.  To preface, a couple of months ago I started listening to a podcast called SportsYapp (there's a link to some of the podcasts on this blog.  It's done by Sports Spectrum, which is a sports magazine that tells stories about those in sports and their faith in Jesus.  On the podcast, Bryce Johnson, who is the host, will talk about sports and entertainment and Jesus along with interviewing those in the sports & entertainment fields.  Some of the people Bryce has interviewed have been CBS analyst Clark Kellogg, ESPN writer & commentator Chris Broussard, Tennessee Titans punter Brett Kern, Buffalo Bills wide receiver Brad Smith & Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw among others.  It's a really cool podcast.  If you haven't checked it out yet, you ought to give it a try.

So I follow SportsYapp on Twitter.  Recently I began to follow Jason Romano on Twitter.  Who is Jason Romano you ask?  Well Jason is the Senior Talent Producer at ESPN.  He is in charge of booking guests and analyst for the various shows on the ESPN family of networks.  I started following Jason on Twitter for 3 reasons (in no particular order).  One, he talks about sports and the various people that come through Bristol.  Two, he shares Scripture and his faith.  Three, he randomly has pictures of when Star Wars was visiting ESPN on his Twitter profile picture sometimes.  Pretty good combination in my book.

Now that you know the backstory, here's the cool encounter.  So last Monday (March 26th), I @ replied to SportsYapp suggesting they should try and get Jason Romano on their podcast because I thought it'd be a good interview.  Well not even a few minutes later I get a message from Jason contacting me about it and where to reach him and that he'd love to do it if he was able to get permission from ESPN.  I then sent a message to Bryce with Jason's contact info and that was that.

This week rolls around and the interview was up yesterday.  It was a really good interview about some of the behind the scenes stuff of what it takes to get talent on air.  Jason also shared his testimony and what it's like to live out his faith where he works.  The link to the interview is here.

It's really cool how God uses such things like Twitter for His glory.  And it's a really cool reminder that even something as simple as a tweet can be used in a big way.

No comments: