Monday, January 23, 2012

Random Sports Reflections

As I take a few minutes out of a cold, rainy Monday in the Upstate of SC to ponder about some stuff...

*True to form, I picked the AFC & NFC title games correct just like last year.  Well if that holds to form, whoever I pick for the Super Bowl should win right?  Haha, hmmmm probably not so fast on that one.  Lot of time to think through that.  I am glad that Baltimore isn't going.  That would've been a rough game to watch.  It's like the Yankees playing in the World Series, not worth watching cause I don't like them.  Instead we get a rematch of Super Bowl XLII.  I'll have my thoughts & predictions of that game next week.

*Sad to hear about the passing of Joe Paterno over the weekend.  It is a tragic story in many ways and one that can at times leave one speechless.  I refrained from blogging about the story when it came out last November.  Partly because I didn't know what to say & partly because it seemed that everyone else was talking about it.  I didn't know what I could contribute that was any different.  The whole scandal is a reminder of how we live in a fallen world.  I hope that JoePa was a believer and I hope that would give comfort to his family as they mourn his loss.  And I hope that there is continued prayer for the people of Happy Valley and the Penn State community for those who are having to deal daily with the effects of the actions of Jerry Sandusky.  And I hope that there are believers in that area who are able to share Christ and let Him work & heal broken lives there.

*If you haven't yet, check out the site SportsYapp.  They are a part of Sports Spectrum, a magazine that talks about Christianity and sports.  They have a podcast that's updated fairly regularly and have done some interviews with some players, reporters and announcers sharing their testimonies like Dave Pasch, Clark Kellogg, Chris Broussard and Brett Kern.  There's a link to the latest podcast here on my blog (it's on the right side of the page, just scroll down and you should see it.)  Really good stuff and I suggest giving a listen sometime.

No comments: