Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Sports Analogy: The Draft

I thought about writing this post last month when the NFL draft was going on but it's still appropriate with the upcoming drafts of the other major sports (NBA, MLB, NHL).  When thinking about the draft, it works well with the situation of life that I'm in right now.  I just finished my Master's of Divinity degree and am in the process of looking for a full time ministry position.  In many ways, it is similar to a college athlete who finished his collegiate career and waiting for the time of the draft.

There is the declaration that you are available, the answering of questions, the checking over of one's background and credentials.  And then there is the wait.  We see the players as they wait to hear their name called and find out where they will be going to play.  In a lot of ways, that is how I'm feeling right now.  Sending out resumes, answering questions, and waiting.  Waiting to get a call saying I have been hired, that I've been "drafted".

Just as certain teams look for a particular need to fill for their teams, the same is true in ministry.  God has designed me with gifts and abilities that work well with certain ministries (college/young adult, discipleship).  And I know that He has the right place for me to serve.  I just pray and wait for the call.

Wherever I get "drafted", I'm excited about the next phase of my life and what God has in store for me.  Until then, I wait for the call...

No comments: