Sunday, July 5, 2009

Reflecting on Steve McNair

I was on the phone with my dad (10:30pm local time in Krakow) when he told me about the death of Steve McNair. My first reaction was shock. Complete and utter shock. It's one of those things you don't expect to hear. As more information has come out, it has been more tragic in nature.

I thought as I reflected on this I'd look at both the negative and positive. The negative being that it looks more and more like a murder-suicide also involving a 20 year old girl. This girl also was arrested earlier in the week for DUI in a Escalade co-owned by Steve and her. It's sad to hear given the fact that Steve is married and has four kids and for all intents and purposes in apperance was happily married. If there was cheating involved, it is tragic. It reflects how a bad decision can have bad consequences, and in this case really tragic ones.

On the positive side, he will be remembered as a tough quarterback. When the team came to Tennessee in 1997, he was the starting quarterback. For the "hometown" team, he was the QB. He was the epitome of perseverence and toughness and no matter what injury he had and how much practice he missed, you expected to see him out on the field on Sunday. I remember last year blogging right after his retirement about memories I have of his playing days with the Titans. It was a sad day when he retired, it's a sadder day that he passed away.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his family. I hope that Steve followed Jesus and I hope that his family does and that they can turn to Him for comfort in this time of hurt. Steve, you will be missed.

No comments: