Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The Utility Player and the Ministry

As I was walking from chapel yesterday, a thought came to my mind. And of course it involved sports. There have been times in my life (this being one of them), where in a sense I'm "riding the bench" waiting for a spot to open up regarding a ministry position whether it be while I'm in seminary or waiting until I graduate. It reminds me a lot of a utility player.

For those who don't know, a utility player is a term that comes from baseball. It is a player who can play multiple positions but doesn't start. He usually is a fill in for a starter either because of injury or for rest. They are talented players because they can play multiple positions but they aren't in a place to be a starter at any one position.

There are times in our lives where we fill in where we are needed in the church until we find the right place where we fit and where we will "start". Sometimes that is a quick find, other times it may take years. It doesn't mean those that are "utility players" are any less important than the "starters". It means that we need to be flexible to what God has called for us while were in that utility role so that when the right "starting" position becomes available, we'll be ready for it.

1 comment:

Adam said...

Yep, I looove having utility spots on my fantasy rosters. Very much an "all things to all people" sort of skill.

Seriously, though this is a good reminder of humility in the body of Christ.