Thursday, March 27, 2008

Pacman and the Defintion of Sin

I thought I had heard and seen everything regarding Adam "Pacman" Jones, the currently suspended NFL Defensive Back. And trust me, I've heard a lot. But what was said yesterday out of his own mouth really takes the cake. Pacman was on the the radio in Dallas, TX being interviewed by Hall of Famer and former Dallas Cowboy Michael Irvin on Irvin's radio show. During that interview, Jones talked about his past and how he's living clean and wanting to get reinstated and hopefully get traded to play with the Cowboys.

One thing that really stood out to me was the statement he made referring to a conversation he had with his counselor (he was required to go to a counselor as part of his suspension). Here is the statement: "It ain't no sin to go to the strip club."

Okay, let's think about this one for a moment. "It ain't no sin to go to the strip club." Something just doesn't sound right in that statement. Maybe it's the correlation between no sin and strip club. Then again, my friend Erin, the English professor would comment on the double negative that Pacman used. So maybe in a subtle way that it is a sin to go to the strip club.....no that's probably not what he meant.

Now for a long time, I've defended Pacman. Probably way longer than I should have. I even thought him getting involved with pro wrestling was a good thing for him. But there comes a point when it's just like "Okay you're going to have to learn the hard way." I hate to break it to you Pacman, but going to a strip club, that's a sin. And we've seen the consequences in your life how that's played out because you've went (suspended for a year...maybe more, bodyguard shot and paralyzed, numerous other bad incidents).

I think the old catchphrase "It is what it is" rings true here. Sin is sin. Period. Doesn't matter who you are, what kind of background you have, it's still bad and bad for you. I still hold out hope for Pacman to turn his life around. But after that interview, he still has a long way to go. And there isn't going to be a power pellet that's going to get him out of this mess....

1 comment:

Adam said...

Oy, more Pacman. :(

What was Irvin's response?